As an Amazon associate we may earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) when you buy through the links on this site, but this never influences our opinion.
You got a beard?
You NEED to apply beard oil to it – simple.
If you don’t, your beard will look like shit. Comprende?
Okay, I’ve made my point.
But if you want to know a little more about beard oil, and why it’s so necessary, then keep reading..
In This Guide..
What Exactly Is Beard Oil?
Beard oil is a set of oil-based ingredients – usually derived from natural plants, herbs, essential oils and
These ingredients are infused into a carrier oil which may or may not contain scent.
What Does Beard Oil Do?
Lots of things..
It Tames The Beard
It is used to nourish the beard, and skin, keeping them moisturized and healthy.
Without beard oil, your beard will be rough, hard to style with stray hairs poking out in odd places.
Beard oil softens the beard enabling you to comb, brush and style it easily, and tuck away those flyaway hairs. It also gives the hair a glossy healthier appearance.
The result is an intentionally polished, tidy look.
Prevents Irritation Of The Skin Under The Beard
As the beard grows, it draws on the moisture and natural oils from the skin.
The skin becomes dry, irritable, scratchy, flaky, and.. you get the gist. Nasty.
Beard oil offers a supplement to those nutrients while moisturizing the skin and retaining moisture.
Some beard oil ingredients contain antibacterial and antimicrobial qualities that may help protect from infection.
Makes The Beard Appear Fuller
It nourishes the hair, making it thicker, stronger, and more flexible. Since you can easily groom it, the beard achieves that full, healthy look.
Gives The Beard A Great Smell
Not every man’s choice, but more often than not, a little manly fragrance will go a long way..
There are loads of scented beard oils that really do smell great.
If you use a preferred cologne or deodorant and don’t want to mix your scents, then go for a natural, un-scented beard oil like the 100% pure, organic, fragrance-free beard oil from Leven Rose.
This is a highly recommended beard oil that also has a range of fragrances.
What Is Beard Oil Made From?
Beard oil is composed of the following ingredients:
These are lightweight, soft scented oils used to dilute essential oils to enable them to absorb into the skin without hampering their therapeutic properties.
They also have their own individual qualities, which we will review.
Common carrier oils include sunflower, coconut, jojoba, apricot kernel, sweet almond, olive, argan, rosehip, black seed, grapeseed, and avocado oils.
They contain essential nutrients important to the skin and beard:
- Rosehip oil contains Vitamin A, a retinoid that stimulates collagen production, which treats acne and softens wrinkles, leaving a youthful look. It also has Vitamin C, which reverses the adversities of sunlight.
- Grapeseed and apricot kernel oils contain fatty acids and Vitamin E, which is said to calm irritations, reduce wrinkles, and regenerate the skin.
- Sunflower, argan, and olive oils soften and condition the hair and skin while creating a barrier against toxins and germs that may irritate.
- Avocado oil increases sebum production through fatty acids and is recommended for dry skin.
- Jojoba oil is said to be the closest to the body’s natural sebum oil, which means it is easiest to absorb and ideal for long beards.
This is the concentrated plant essence that has full flavor and scent. They are too strong on their own and are usually blended with the carrier oils to enable absorption into the skin and hair.
On their own, essential oils may irritate without serving their intended purpose. They will also evaporate and oxidize, losing their functionality.
The beard oil derives its scent from the essential oils used.
Examples of essential oils are bergamot, peppermint, lavender, sandalwood, ylang-ylang, tea tree, and eucalyptus oils.
- Most essential oils are anti-inflammatory as they soothe nerves. Peppermint actually gives a cooling sensation to the skin and hair.
- Tea tree and bergamot have antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that fight infections and boost immunity
- Sandalwood hastens repair of wounds and torn hairs while lavender and eucalyptus are great cleansing agents and moisturizers
- Ylang Ylang is high in antioxidants, which have been attributed to promoting beard growth
We could attribute the success of The Honest Amish Classic Blend Oil as it claims to have:
“over 7 expertly selected premium oils as well as 7 essential oils that target hair growth, conditioning, beard and skin health, and are full of minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants“
Vitamin E (Not a Component of All Beard Oils)
- This antioxidant protects body cells, repairs damaged hair and prevents hair loss
- It also provides a protective barrier that locks in moisture
- It is known to boost blood circulation on the skin, which nourishes the follicles to produce stronger, healthier, and more flexible hair
The Science Behind The Elixir – How It Works
If you have a certain skin type, such as dry, oily, or normal, you might want to use beard oil that will compliment your skin.
Dry Skin / Sensitive Skin
The sebaceous glands that nourish the beards retain their size, and the demand from the beard overwhelms them.
Therefore your skin and beard will benefit from greater moisturizing and oil supplements that can be easily absorbed by the skin.
This Beard Oil by Mountaineer Brand comes highly recommended for such skin to harness flaking and beardruff.
The irritation may be due to infection, mostly bacterial-causing pimples and, in extreme cases, acne.
Your pores may be clogged by body oil or skin flakes mentioned above or both. This is a breeding ground for bacteria.
Beard oils with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory ingredients like tea tree, thyme, cinnamon, eucalyptus, and rosemary will reduce the swelling, treat the wounds, fight infection, and boost immunity.
How It Nurtures The Beard
While supplementing natural oil production, beard oils have moisturizing qualities as well as retention ability.
The beard becomes flexible, soft, and easy to manipulate as a result. There are fewer split ends and breakages associated with dry manes, allowing the beard to fill out and become longer.
The beard is also stronger due to a protective layer of oil that forms around the hairs. The same layer gives the mane a glossy presentable finish.
Ingredients like sweet almond oil and olive oil are great moisturizers. Avocado oil has fatty acids which increase sebum production.
Consistent nutrition makes the beard flexible. It is easy to run a comb through or brush, and the stray hairs are not stuck in their awkward positions.
Most retain the mild fragrance of their essential oils hence do not require artificial scents.
For those very sensitive to smells, there is always the Ranger Grooming’s Fragrance-Free Beard Oil type of beard oils, which are also highly rated.
How To Apply Beard Oil
Let’s not make things too complicated here.. it’s just freekin oil that you apply to your beard and skin.
That said, this is a cool video showing you the art behind it, plus some other great tips..
- You love your beard
- You love the compliments that come with sporting a cool beard
- A beard is a manly, sexy thing
- A beard gives you confidence
Love your beard – use beard oil.